Culturally-tailored counter-marketing messages about sugary fruit drinks alone or in combination with water promotion messages delivered via Facebook groups reduce Latinx parents’ purchases of these beverages for their young children. In this randomized controlled trial of 1,628 Latinx parents, counter-marketing messages alone or combined with water messages significantly reduced fruit drink purchases in a simulated online store by 13.7 and 19.2 absolute percentage points, respectively, relative to a control group. Water purchases increased significantly in both intervention groups. For more information, go to the study website Truth About Fruit Drinks. You can read the article at doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2021.306488.
- Krieger J, Kwon T, Ruiz R, Pinero Walkinshaw L, Yan J, Roberto CA. Countermarketing About Fruit Drinks, Alone or With Water Promotion: A 2019 Randomized Controlled Trial in Latinx Parents. Am J Public Health. Published online ahead of print October 28, 2021:e1–e11.
- Krieger J, Bleich SN, Scarmo S, Ng SW. Sugar-Sweetened Beverage Reduction Policies: Progress and Promise. Annu Rev Public Health. 2021 Apr 1;42:439-461. doi: 10.1146/annurev-publhealth-090419-103005.
- Krieger J, Magee K, Hennings T, Schoof J, Madsen K. How sugar-sweetened beverage tax revenues are being used in the United States. Preventive Medicine Reports. 2021:101388. doi:10.1016/j.pmedr.2021.101388.
- Grummon AH, Roberto CA, Krieger JW. Is the Association Between Beverage Taxes and Reductions in Sales Driven by Communication of Health Consequences in Addition to Price Increases? JAMA Netw Open. 2020;3(12):e2032537. doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.32537.
- Dibay Moghadam S, Krieger JW, Louden DKN. A systematic review of the effectiveness of promoting water intake to reduce sugar-sweetened beverage consumption. Obes Sci Pract. 2020 Mar 29;6(3):229-246. doi: 10.1002/osp4.397.
- Madsen KA, Krieger J, Morales X. Sugar-Sweetened Beverage Taxes: Emerging Evidence on a New Public Health Policy. JAMA. 2019 May 14;321(18):1777-1779.
- Jacobson MF, Krieger J, Brownell KD. Potential Policy Approaches to Address Diet-Related Diseases. JAMA. Published online June 28, 2018. doi:10.1001/jama.2018.7434
- Auerbach BJ, Littman AJ, Krieger J, Young BA, Larson J, Tinker L, Neuhouser ML. Association of 100% fruit juice consumption and 3-year weight change among postmenopausal women in the in the Women's Health Initiative. Prev Med. 2018 Apr;109:8-10
- Auerbach BJ, Dibey S, Vallila-Buchman P, Kratz M, Krieger J. Review of 100% Fruit Juice and Chronic Health Conditions: Implications for Sugar-Sweetened Beverage Policy. Advances in Nutrition, 2018; 9(2):78–85.
- Auerbach BJ, Littman AJ, Tinker L, Larson J, Krieger J, Young B, Neuhouser M. Associations of 100% fruit juice versus whole fruit with hypertension and diabetes risk in postmenopausal women: Results from the Women's Health Initiative. Prev Med. 2017 Sep 6. pii: S0091-7435(17)30315-8.
- Auerbach B. Wolf FM, Hikida A, Vallila-Buchman P, Littman A, Thompson D, Louden D, Taber DR, Krieger JW. Fruit Juice and Change in Body Mass Index – A Meta-Analysis. Pediatrics, published online: 2017 March 21. (doi: 10.1542/peds.2008-1536).