What worked in Albany
Each community has unique characteristics that inﬂuence campaign strategy and messages. Here are some lessons and recommendations learned from Albany:
- Focus on local priorities and youth.
- Maintain drumbeat of local messages: facts about health consequences of sugary drinks, youth health, cost to all tax payers of diabetes, equity, success of 2014 Berkeley campaign.
- Inform voters through community events and canvass entire city (possible in small cities).
- Use social and earned media to raise voter awareness.
- Collaborate with medical professionals, parents, schools, and other stakeholders.
- Create logo and remind people of issue through lawn signs and business signs.
- Start raising funding early – at least 5 months in advance.
- Reach out and educate local business early on. Prepare them for what to expect.
- Build a diverse coalition of local leaders that are invested in this issue.